Friday, March 18, 2011

It's gonna be warm..

(Note, I started this post on the night of St. Patty's Day, and finished it the next day, so there will be different references)
Ugh.. today was a really warm day for me, and it was only 85! What am I going to do when it's like a billion outside with humidity?  lol One thing that I'm really glad about is that they supplied us with a clip on water bottle holder as part of our uniform, and it's really handy.  Today I worked 1500-2145.  From 1500-1730 I was at Entrance 2, or right at the turnstiles when you first enter the park, and it was HOT in the sun, let me tell you.  My entrance partner Jose is really cool so it was fun to hang out with him today, although I have to say that the weather was not leaving people in the bests of moods.  This is probably the first shift where I have seen guests snapping at, well, me, as well as at each other.  Something that is hard right now is that people really want an unobstructed view of the Toy Story topiary's. There are three of them, Buzz, Woody and Lotso (who FINALLY showed up, two weeks later) . However, we are now going into busy season and so it's not always possible to NOT have other people in your shot.  One lady actually got upset and said that she had been waiting for 15 minutes to take a picture and I could wait just one moment.  I had asked my lead's just what I should do in a scenario like this, and they told me that I should just place my people in front of/around them and take my picture.  We shouldn't wait for the perfect shot, because there isn't really going to be a time where there will be no people in your photo (especially if you're on main street!)
Speaking of main street, I really want to pick up a shift there but I'm a little leery of picking up shifts where I don't know where the break rooms are, the base, or even my location.  My leads encourage it, and one even offered to draw me maps, so maybe that will be my challenge for myself.  To make myself branch out and try different locations, especially to see how they run different from EPCOT.
Yesterday was St. Patty's Day and I have to admit that several of us were really dreading this day, lol.  Many people come to EPCOT to drink around the world (something that will run you around $100) and then are REALLY excited to either ride Soarin' or to get their pictures taken.  My Photopass friend and I were comparing stories of people that we've run into (you're my destiny.... giving suggestions and compliments on the photo's your taking even though you can't actually SEE the photo) and so we assumed that yesterday would be even BETTER!!! However I actually had no intoxicated guests at all, and I was at entrance most of the time.  (To be fair, Soarin' did not fair as well, as they had a mini-riot when guests got tired of waiting in the 3 hour standby line.... everything eventually worked out there as well, though...kind of)
Still no character training.  There are apparently 3-4 trainings a month, and I hope I make it in before the end of the month, even though you take like 600 pictures in 5 hours there.  Some people have reported wrist issues from rotating the camera so much, but Base provides us with wrist supports if we ask for them, so I'll tackle that when I get there.  Today I work 1615-0015 and it's supposed to be 85+.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment