Saturday, February 4, 2012

Not every day will be magical

The truth is that not every day is going to be as magically awesome as some of your other days, but it's going to matter how you keep yourself motivated. Today was veerrrrrry long for me. While nothing went wrong, it was just a day where I wasn't feeling the magic. Despite this, I was always trying to watch how I interacted with the guests, how I talked to them and helped them find their way around the park. I also had to be aware of my facial expressions, as I was kind of in a sour mood...lol. The day really culminated in getting to the security gate after work and realizing that I had left my car key back at base. It felt like I was never going to get home, lol. It was only a five minute walk back to base, but all I wanted to do was get home.
My roommate has definitely been having a hard time as well. Basically everything that could go wrong, did. From not getting cleared for Traditions til like a week later, to getting incorrect info, to costumes that don't fit right, to the A bus not showing up when it's supposed to, and finally, not getting paid because her payroll got messed up.  It has definitely been a struggle for her to keep going, and I'm really glad that she's pushing through. She's been late twice to work this week because the A bus either didn't show up, or left early. We're not sure which, but I know that she gets to the bus stop 10 minutes before the bus is supposed to be there, so we're not sure what's going on. She's quick service at an MK resort, and its' gotten to the point where she's leaving for work about 2 hours before her shift because she's had such a hard time with the bus.
Having my car here has been REALLY nice! (If only her work was by mine!!) My car officially came and I have taken it to work almost every day. I had planned on not using it to get to work, but the J bus only comes every 30 minutes, and it takes about 40 minutes to get home. So if I just happen to miss the first bus to come home, I won't be home til over an hour after I get off.
Work hasn't been terrible, though! I love my coordinators, and really I have gotten along great with all my other cast members. I already have some favorite character attendants; some even greet me excitedly when they see me coming! Due to the way that DAK is set up though, I don't work with characters here as often as I did at EPCOT. There's a lot of places where you shoot The Tree of Life, so I should be getting really good at that soon. (hopefully...) The Tree is definitely different than Spaceship Earth. I know it's a mental thing, but I'm having a hard time getting my framing right for the tree. I suppose I should give it more than three weeks though... ;)
Last night was fun, as I picked up a shift at EPCOT and got to see a lot of my friends who I hadn't seen in six months. I ended up at Goofy for about 3 hours and shot 1009 photos. It was really weird to work there, as all of my shifts at DAK are day shifts, usually 9-5:15, while the EPCOT shift was 6:15pm-00:15. I've gotten used to going to bed early and waking up early.
Sunday is my last day of work for a few days, as the family is coming in to visit! I was able to get Monday-Friday off to show them around. When they came last time, we hit up EPCOT, Universal: IOA and DAK, but missed Studios and MK (mainly because MK is VERY similar to Disneyland). We will not be missing any parks this time (but we will be skipping Universal). I can't wait! Especially since they're coming out while I still have my holiday discount for merchandise. I'll be the favorite daughter for a while :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda!! So I just got accepted into the WDWCP as a Photopass Photographer. I am super excited because I really wanted that role and everyone I talked to kept saying how I wasn't going to get it because hardly any of them are in the program as Photopass, so I am even more excited and thrilled about this opportunity!! I have sooo many questions for you, but I only have two super important ones that I will bother you with lol. In your opinion, what is the best park to work in as a Photopass?? I really like animals, I am a veterinary medicine major, so I would love to work at Animal Kingdom. My favorite parks as a guest are EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. I heard AK has lousy hours, though I don't understand why because they close earlier than the other parks.. Do you feel that way or were the hours worse at EPCOT?? Also, did you find that the rooming situation worked out better for you going in knowing your roommates or going in as a single?? I might have one friend who is doing the program too and we would be roommates, but I don't know if it would be better to go in with a group to have a whole apartment or if it would be better to go in as two (or alone if she doesn't do the prgraom). Seeing as you did both, what do you think was better?? Thanks so much for the info and creating such a great blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry it took so long, but I wanted to let you know I tried to answer your questions and just made a new blog entry about it, lol. Congrats on getting the position! It really is a lot of fun! You get to talk to guests all day, chat with kids about their vacations, and hang out with Tigger (or really, any other characters) everyday! I'm not sure their's a better role out there ;)

      Delete