Friday, February 24, 2012

Bah! Midterms

So apparently whenever I write anything along the lines of, "Will post more!" or "Updates coming" i'm actually shooting myself in the foot because I never come back.... :( But this program is already so different from the last one. I'm working just about 40 hours a week, plus since I'm not getting work experience this time around, I actually had to take CLASSES which means homework and midterms. I'm taking all online classes: Photoshop 2, Art History and a quick 6 week course on how to research stuff (seriously?) that's required by my school. It's 7 units total, but it's seriously cramping my play time! Oh, the horrors of being an adult.... ;)


So I received some really good questions from Danielle, (who I hope doesn't mind that I'm posting them on the main page!) But I felt they were really good and warranted an actual response!
 In your opinion, what is the best park to work in as a Photopass?? 
 This is a hard one! One of the bests I have to say, is of course Magic Kingdom. I think that it's the epitome of what people picture when they think of Disney, and it has the princesses! The main street costume also looks fantastic, but the park itself can have some of the longest Photopass hours to work. My friend Traci from the last program was usually going in to work around 6pm, and would get off at like 4:30am (in the summer) so that can be crazy. EPCOT of course was ( and always will be) my home park. It has a bunch of indoor, air conditioned locations, which you will LOVE in the summer months. It also has the world showcase where you can be with a character all day, which I found to always be a lot of fun. But you don't get as many hours! As I mentioned, I really only worked around 32 hours a week my WHOLE program, so I would have to pick up hours Sunday morning when they were released (at 6am....) to make up for it. The schedule comes out every Sunday morning (at 6am....) as do Extra Hours you can pick up on the HUB. These shifts go really fast though, so the early bird catches the worm, as they say. Since you're going in the Fall, you'll have the tail end of the heat, and also the Food and Wine festival in EPCOT, but i heard the park gets really crowded for that, which can definitely be a negative. Animal Kingdom is growing on me, but it has a lot of bugs, lol, and no indoor areas (i'm spoiled...) So I would say MK and EPCOT but those are definitely just my biased opinions ;)
I heard AK has lousy hours, though I don't understand why because they close earlier than the other parks.. Do you feel that way or were the hours worse at EPCOT??
 If you're talking work hours, you really can't beat the fact that AK closes earlier than any park, leaving you the whole night if you want to go out. The latest we close is 8pm, but right now it's usually 5 or 6pm. I'm also getting more hours at work, which means more money! On the other hand, EPCOT I wouldn't go in til like 1 or 3pm and work til 9:45pm or midnight, which left me the whole day to park hop before work. There were several times I would go to MK or HS in the morning, just to meet the early characters, and then catch a resort bus to work. I can't do this now that I'm at AK because I start around 9 or 10am. Also, sometimes when you get home after a long day and eat, all you want to do is fall into bed and just lay there not moving, lol. So I guess it depends on what your looking for: money or play (which you kind of need one to afford the other...)
Also, did you find that the rooming situation worked out better for you going in knowing your roommates or going in as a single??
This is a funny question, as the first time I went in with a bunch of roommates, and then switched out two at the last minute. I got along SO well with everyone last time, and was so excited to finally meet Hilary and Chelsea, but knowing someone online doesn't tell you their quirks and habits. At the same time, knowing people through the facebook groups at least gives you a foundation to go on to build a friendship. I think at this time (one month in) I was closer with my last roommates than I am with my current ones (I also wasn't working as much). My roommates now are amazing and we get along great, I just think I knew my last set better. I also know people who went in, having chosen their roommates through FB and it didn't work out (are they a slob? do they leave their dishes everywhere? are they just plain loud?) These are things you can't really know before you go. That said, it's really scary going in blind, lol. I was so worried that I would be in an apt full of wild partiers, and luckily that didn't happen, but in the end, I'm going to go with: I liked knowing before I went. I liked at least trying to get to know the people a bit, and knowing that we already had something in common.

While we're talking about Facebook groups, can I just say throw out there that there are going to be annoying people. There are going to be people who purposely try and annoy/badger/troll/flame whatever people to get reactions. And Disney DOES monitor what goes on. They monitor what's said in blogs, so I'm pretty sure they monitor what goes on in those groups. People can claim 1st amendment all they want, but in the end, Disney is a business. You have been hired and chosen to represent Disney, which includes preserving the magic. Just remember that. Also, not sure if I mentioned this, but they definitely won't stand for anything they consider cyber-bullying. They made this clear at our housing meeting this year. So always watch how you conduct yourself, and just be mindful.

Coming Soon Eventually:

  • Africa Trek (maybe I'll work on those tonight, actually)
  • I get Tusker House trained on Tuesday!! That's character dining, which is takes place in Tusker House at DAK. And (even better) it's with Donald!
Look!  A picture!
Erin, Diamond and myself at our last Welcome Event


No comments:

Post a Comment